Yesterday, Microsoft has pushed the Windows Phone Update 1 (GDR 1) for all the Windows Phones that have been registered with the Developers Preview program. This update includes a lot of new features like Live Folders support, Live Store Tile, Cortana (for China, UK, India, Australia and Canada), IE enhancements and a lot more.
For China and UK, Cortana is released as a beta version while India, Australia and Canada get her as an “alpha” or an “early preview”. This post will help Windows Phone users who have updated their phone to Update 1 (GDR1) setup Cortana alpha.
NOTE: Make sure that you have installed Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 (GDR1) on your Windows Phone before proceeding with any of the below given steps.
1. Swipe left on the Start screen to go to App List.
2. Go to Settings -> Language
3. select one of the below based on your language preferences:
– English (Australia)
– English (Canada)
– English (India)
When you select a language different to the previous on your Windows Phone, you may need to restart your phone.
4. The go to Settings -> Region.
5. Select one of the following based on your region:
6. Then go to Settings -> Speech
7. Set one of the following as the speech language:
– For Australia (English United Kingdom)
– For Canada (English United States)
– For India (English United Kingdom)
After you have set your language, region and speech settings correctly, go to Cortana by pressing the Bing search button to the bottom right of the phone. Users will need to review the info displayed on the acknowledgement screens and accept the terms and conditions for Cortana alpha.
Knowledge improves by mutual sharing of information. So share it.